Dr. Nani Raut has over 13 years of experience in GHG emission, soil ecology, climate change adaptation and mitigation. Her higher education Ph.D. and Postdoc was from Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU), Norway and M.Sc. from Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand. She has working experience on inter-disciplinary research from South and South-east Asian region. Her research areas include estimation of greenhouse gases (CH4, N2O, CO2) from agricultural, forest and grazing lands (both field measurement and lab incubation), processes of agricultural intensification, impacts of farming techniques on soil quality/productivity, impacts of climate change on agriculture and water resources, understanding of socio-economy of mountain farming communities, climate change adaptation and mitigation in agriculture. She has led several externally funded projects including NORAD funded project on sustainable natural resource management for climate change adaptation in Himalayan region, A collaborative project among Nepal, Norway, Pakistan and Bhutan (2014 to 2020).
1. Nepal Vidyabhushan ‘Ka’ , Government of Nepal- 2013.
2. Post-doctoral research award: NMBU, Norway - 2014
3. PhD study Scholarships at UMB, Norway from Quota scholarship from Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund, The Norwegian Program for Development, Research and Education (Research Grant No. NUFUPRO 2007/10109).
4. Japanese Government Scholarship for Masters Study at Asian Institute of Technology.
5. Swiss Development Corporation scholarship for Bachelors Study at Kathmandu University.
6. Awarded for the first position in the Project Exhibition 2000 for the project entitled “Water Level Indicator” held on June 16, 2000.
7. Various awards in different sports.
Leadership roles and other experiences
Life member of Forum of Natural Resource Managers (FONAREM) since 2014.
Treasurer of Non Resident Nepali Association, Norway (NRNA-Norway) from 2008-2012.
Member of Nature and Social Concern Society (NSCS), Kathmandu University - 2002.
1. Soil ecology
2. Incubation/direct measurement of GHG emissions from soil
3. Climate change adaptation and mitigation
4. Carbon sequestration
5. Socio-economy of mountain farming
-The head of Agriculture and Rural Development Unit at NTIC, Kathmandu University (2019 to 2023).