Dr. Gyawali obtained MSc (Botany) in 2000 from Central Department of Botany, Tribhuvan University (TU), Nepal. He received his PhD in 2007 from Chosun University, Republic of Korea, under the fellowship of Korea Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF), Ministry of Science and Technology, Republic of Korea. He joined Department of Pharmacy in July, 2008.
Pharmacognosy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry of Natural Product
The major research themes ongoing in his group revolve around the therapeutic evaluation of traditional medicine, extraction, fractionation, characterization, and identification of bioactive secondary metabolites from medicinal plants. He is also interested on characterization of essential oil constituents using GC/MS. In order to contribute to the discovery of natural products, he has been working on the natural product chemistry, multi sectoral link with pharmacognosy and food supplements.
- Chulwon Kim, Il Ho Lee, Ho Bong Hyun, Jong-Chan Kim, Rajendra Gyawali Seok-Geun Lee, Junhee Lee Sung-Hoon Kim, Bum Sang Shim, Somi Kim Cho, Kwang Seok Ahn. Supercritical fluid extraction of citrus iyo Hort.ex Tanaka pericarp inhibits growth and induces apoptosis through abrogation of STAT3 regulated gene products in human prostate cancer xenograft mouse model. Integr Cancer Ther; May 1-17, 2016.
- Yeon Woo Song, Sabina Shrestha, Rajendra Gyawali, Dong-Sun Lee, Somi Kim Cho. Citrus unshiu leaf extract containing phytol as a major compound induces autophagic cell death in human gastric adenocarcinoma AGS cells . Journal of the Korean Society for Applied Biologic , 58(2):257–265, 2015.
- Neelesh Sharma, Kalpa Samarakoon, Rajendra Gyawali, Yang-Ho Park, Sung Jin Lee, Sung-Jong Oh, Tae-Hoon Lee and Dong Kee Jeong "Chemical evaluation, On-line HPLC-ABTS+• based radical scavenging potential, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer activity of ethanolic extract of Euphorbia hirta," Molecules, 19: 14567-14581, 2014.
- Rajendra Gyawali, Jyoti Bhandari, Shiksha Amatya, Esha Piya, Udaya Laxmi Pradhan, Ranjana Paudyal, Rajan Shrestha, Tritha Maiya Shrestha. Antibacterial and cytotoxic activities of high altitude essential oils from Nepalese Himalaya, Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, 7(13), 738-743, 2013.
- Rajendra Gyawali, Deok Hyeon Jeon, Jeong Yong Moon, Hyoen Ji Kim, Yeon Woo Song, Ho Bong Hyun, So Young Moon, Tae Hwan Kang, Keun Sik Moon, Somi Kim Cho. Chemical composition and antiproliferative activity of supercritical CO2 extracts of citrus fruits. Journal of Food Science and Technology Research, 18(6) 813-823, 2012.
- Rajendra Gyawali, Deok Hyeon Jeon, JeongYong Moon, Hyoen Ji Kim, Yeon Woo Song, Ho Bong Hyun, So Young Moon, Somi Kim Cho. Chemical composition and antiproliferative activity of supercritical extract of pummelo Citrus grandis (L.) Osbeck fruits from Korea. Journal of Essential Oil Bearing Plants, 15 (6) 915 – 925, 2012.
- HyoenJi Kim, Hana Kim, Ashik Mosaddik, Rajendra Gyawali, Kwang Seok Ahn, Somi Kim Cho Induction of apoptosis by ethanolic extract of mango peel and comparative analysis of the chemical constitutes of mango peel and flesh. Food Chemistry, 133(2): 416-422, 2012.